Thursday, August 18, 2011

BEDA 19: Sundaes and Evernote!

I'm going to start today's blog post with a conversation I had with Alex and Charlie a few hours ago that made me laugh really hard:

Alex: Have you finished your sundae?
Me: Yeah I did; it was good, thanks.
Charlie: Are you excited for your Monday?

It's currently 2 AM on Friday morning, so it's not really quite time for blogging yet, but I have a long morning of obnoxious traveling ahead of me so I kind of just want to get it out of the way. In about two hours I'm taking a bus to a tube station to get on an express train to Heathrow so I can be there by 5:30 AM for my 7:30 AM flight to Warsaw, Poland. The good news is I will be there by 11 AM so I can hopefully sleep a bit before the other YouTubers even get in, but the bad news is --- my travel schedule. And saying goodbye to Alex, Charlie and Liam, who I'm currently hanging out with. Well, Alex and Charlie are working on a script in the kitchen while Liam and I watch My Little Pony and organize things on Evernote in the other room, but still.

Leaving is going to suck. Having not been in London for two years, being here such a short time was absolutely not enough. I could complain about this all day, as I did yesterday, but I'm just so frustrated with the fact that there are so many amazing people over here that I don't get to see nearly enough, as well as so many things about London that I just adore (and had even forgotten I adored, like staring at tube maps) so basically, this trip was merely a huge tease. I need to come back. Maybe next summer, we'll see.

On that subject, I got a comment on my last blog post that really got the gears turning in my head so I wanted to share it:

"Which would you prefer: To have many brief visits with friends all over, leaving many little holes in your heart? Or fewer but longer visits with friends, leaving you with larger and deeper holes that will take longer to heal? More likely, it'll progress from the former, to the latter, and finally to settling down, when your heart finds a part it can't bear to lose." -badbob001

That was such a beautiful way to word that sentiment. In general I've always felt it was better to have stronger, more meaningful connections with a handful of people rather than a bunch of casual friendships that are only surface level or a few layers deep. But all of this crazy internet and fandom stuff has really thrown a kink into that, since I feel like I make those deep meaningful friendships all the time. With something like this, quantity doesn't really actually detract from quality, but it gets harder and harder to make everyone a priority in your life, especially when they live so far away.

Okay. Now Alex is back and he's reading Liam and I hilarious articles about horrible chip (crisp) flavors so there's no way I am going to get to be any sort of insightful anymore, so I will continue these musings later. Onward to Poland!

Flights taken: 18



13 comments:

cloudqueen14 said...

Good byes are always the hardest. I have to leave my home state in a few weeks to go back to college and it already hurts to think about leaving all my friends and family. Yet I'm very excited to see my college friends. My mind feels a bit conflicted and very confused at the moment. Life is just crazy like that. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way though. Hope you have a great time in Poland and are able to catch up on some sleep. :-)

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

Im leaving for college in a month, and I'm sad and scared to leave my family and friends. But I know that's a bit different. The farthest i've ever traveled (out of the country) is Canada. It is my life dream to go to London!!!

Rose24 said...

I love travelling but I don't get to do it often. Reading your blog posts is sort of my way of getting to travel. You add a personal touch and are so incredibly real - it makes me feel like I was there too.
I also find it hilarious how much you mention alcohol in your blog posts :P I'm not complaining though! Hope you have a safe trip to Poland :)

Anna said...

Wow. It's always hard to say good bye. No matter what's the reason and to who I have to say that. It's slways hard and I hate to do that.
So you're going to be in Poland today? Few days ago I thought you'll go to Paris like the other youtuber but now I think it was obvious you'll spend more time in London. :) It's like you 2nd home. Anyway, what are you going to do today? I guess sleep maybe?
Have a safe flight and see you tomorrow. Can't wait to meet all of the quests. Hope you'll have a good time in Warsaw. Btw I am not sure if you're Starbucks fan but there is one at Nowy Świat (New World) street. Just in case...

Alex Dahlberry said...

What that commenter said was very true and very well put. And I agree with you too. The internet does make it possible to get really close to a lot of people, which can make it pretty hard when they all live in different locations.

Sigh.
I'm sure you'll have a LOT of fun in Poland. =]

LaVague said...

Hey.. was starting to read your blog only recently and like it a lot! The equal mix of hilarious happenings and insightful thoughts is truely inspireing!

Oh I know this problem of having friends all over the world very well! I just spent a year in South Africa and back in Germany I got some kind of "homesickness", because South Africa is like my second home now.

It hurts, but at the same time it's wonderful to be able to keep in touch with your friends over Facebook and Co. Wondering that people you almost lost connection with suddenly send you a heart warming message. Realizing that there ARE people who will never forget 'bout you.

I'm visiting family in Poland right now. It's a wonderful country! Have you ever been there? You'll enjoy yourself very much!

justanerd said...

I know what you mean! I left school today and even though I'm still going to be staying in the same town it's going to be really strange and sad to not be able to see my friends pretty much everyday like I used to and I know there will probably be people I won't see at all which is really sad :( but at the same time I'm excited to start university next month and meet lots of new friends even though that plus my course work is going to mean even less time with my school friends! I don't know what I'd do if they were on a different continent!!!

WiedzmaHania said...

It's so awesome that you're in Warsaw! I have a ticket for the YouStars event, I hope I'm gonna meet you tomorrow!

Manar said...

All I can think about now are sundaes. This is why one should not read blogs while hungry. xD

ENJOY POLAND! :D

nelamonster said...

SEE YOU TOMORROW KRISTINA!

Kirsty said...

Goodbyes suck. But I just saw your vido with Alex and it is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for post this info! It was very fun to learn about this. I think that I'll read more about it soon. Keep up the good work.
pharmacy