Monday, August 15, 2011

BEDA 15: Airports and writing.

I'm sitting at SeaTac airport right now, about a half an hour early for my flight and it suddenly hit me -- when I get off my flight in London, it will be Tuesday. So, rushed Monday airport blog post, commence!

As Justin drove me to the airport today, there was a tiny piece of me that was sort of bummed as the sun shone down on us and we cruised down the freeway. Seattle always has such a short summer, and it's so beautiful. But summers are always my busiest, most hectic traveling times, so I ALWAYS MISS IT. I know I am going to have an amazing time in London and Poland this week, and I am so thankful for the opportunity, but as I sat in that car on my way to the airport I definitely said a mental goodbye to another summer in Seattle. Maybe it will still be nice in September. I hope so.

I just found out I have an aisle seat on this flight -- 9 hours, in an aisle seat. I really try not to complain about things like this because I know many, many people don't get the opportunity to travel at all, but nine hours in an aisle seat (overnight) is going to be pretty rough. I promised Rosi and Lex I would try to sleep on the plane so I can attempt to skip jet lag and jump right into fun with them tomorrow morning when I arrive, but... I wouldn't be surprised if I trudge out of Heathrow tomorrow as zombie Kristina. Whatever. Worth it.

I forgot to mention this yesterday -- when Liz and I woke up on Sunday, we started chatting about nanowrimo and writing and novel ideas. I was agonizing over the fact that I don't even have the slightest hint of an idea for mine this year, but after talking with her for awhile (Liz is totally my muse) an idea fell out of the sky right into my lap. This wasn't just any idea either, it was one of those fully-fleshed-out monsters of an idea that appeared in my brain demanding I write it immediately. So later that day when I was at the park with Tyler, I couldn't help but pull out a notebook and furiously jot down ideas and details while the sun warmed my back.

People ask me sometimes where I get inspiration for story ideas, and a lot of times it's just like that. In the midst of a conversation with Liz, something she says will spark something and my brain will wander off on a completely different tangent - and soon I'm not even listening to her anymore but instead dreaming up a whole separate plot/world/etc. She knows that happens sometimes, and she's okay with it. She does it to me too. Haha. It's half the reason we even talk to each other about writing.

Anyway, I was excited to have come up with a new idea that I'm so into, and I can't wait for November to get here. I think my flight is boarding soon so I should probably go. Next time I update, I'll be in London!

Flights taken: 17

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You just made me start worrying about NaNo! :P I guess it's time to start brainstorming. This year I will win!!
Enjoy London, I'm extremely jealous :P

Marie said...

I would probably die if I had to sit in an aisle seat. Or at least get very sick. And as for writing ideas, it's sort of the same with me too. Yesterday I was just thinking about gemstones & how pretty they are and now I have pages full of details for (hopefully) my next NaNo novel.
Anywho, I hope you overcome the jetlag and get to have fun while you're in London!

Elizabeth Jayne said...

don't even remind me about NaNo. i have absolutely no idea what to write about. i've come up with a few, halfheartedly. hopefully one will fall right into my lap before it's too late.

Danielle said...

This is going to be my first year doing NanoWrimo!!! I've been watching your videos for a while, and I've seen and read everything you've done about NanoWrimo, but I was always too scared and too busy to try it! My birthday is in November so it makes it even more special! I will also be starting college as a Freshman, so this should be interesting! :)

Manar said...

Ahh, good luck with your aisle seat. :/

I LOVE NANOWRIMO SO MUCH. It is the best month. I don't really have an idea at the moment, but I still can't wait. :)

Aeva said...

I still haven't actually finished my book from last year.
Yes, I totally passed 50K, but i haven't actually wrapped up the plot yet.
it makes me so sad.
But this year, I AM going to finish!!!

Eva said...

I'm probably doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. Only problem is that I have no idea what I'm going to write about. Let's just hope I'll find some inspiration sometime soon.

And have a great time in London! I'm sure you will. :P